Lemon-Coriander Soup Recipe & Health Benefits
~ Author Nilankeeta
I’m back with a tangy and yummy soup recipe that you can’t help but to fall in love from the very first taste. We all know that ‘prevention is better than cure’ and the lemon-coriander soup you are going to learn today is something that proves it literally. The ingredients used in the recipe will ramp up your vitamin C intake significantly and offer you better health as well as well-being for sure.
Let’s keep the introduction short. Here is how to prepare this comforting Vitamin C Rich Lemon-Coriander Soup and why you should indulge in it frequently:
Preparation Time Required: 10 minutes
Cooking Time Required: 10 minutes
Total Time Required: 20 minutes
Yields: 1 large bowl
(a) Ingredients Needed:
- Lemon – 2 small
- Fresh coriander leaves – (1/2) cup
- Onion – 2 medium-sized
- Garlic – 6 to 7 cloves
- Tomato – 3 medium-sized
- Carrot – 1 large
- Cucumber – 1 large
- Green chili – 3
- Cornflour – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – 1 tablespoon / according to taste
- Sunflower oil – 2 tablespoons
- Vegetable stock – 2 to 3 cups
(b) Recipe ( Instructions To Follow )
- Squeeze out the fresh juice of lemons.
- Chop up the coriander leaves finely.
- Peel off the onions, garlic cloves and cucumber. Mince the onion and cut the garlic into very thin round pieces.
- Chop up the green chilies and discard the seeds.
- Grate the carrot and the cucumber finely.
- Make small cubes of the tomatoes and either mash them with hands or make paste of them in a mixer grinder.
- Now, heat up the sunflower oil in a deep saucepan over medium-high flame. Add chopped garlic and green chilies to it and sauté for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Once the garlic turns a little brown, put chopped onion in the saucepan. Stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the grated carrot and cucumber to the heated pan. Also, mix the mashed tomato in it. Cook everything together for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Now, pour lemon juice and vegetable stock into it. Mix well.
- Dissolve cornflour in some water and pour it into the mixture. Also, add salt to it.
- Combine everything with a spoon and let the whole thing come to a boil. Do not forget to stir it from time to time.
- Sprinkle the shredded coriander leaves over the mixture and mix well.
- Remove the pan from the flame and serve hot!
(c) Tips :
- You can also add shredded cabbage to this recipe.
- Dissolving cornflour in water will make sure that no lump is formed inside the soup.
- You can replace Sunflower oil with sesame or vegetable oil.
- I have used basic vegetable stock here, which gives the soup a wonderful flavor and a very good taste. You can simply use plain water if you wish.
- This should essentially be a thick and rich soup as such consistency goes really very well with the hot and sour taste. But if you prefer something a bit thinner, add some more vegetable stock or water.
How Nutritious Is It?
Lemon-coriander soup can fulfill more than 50% of our average daily requirement of vitamin C. But how can a food with so many healthy ingredients can limit its nutrition value to this only? Well, here is a quick glance of its nourishing qualities:
Per Serving of Lemon-Coriander Soup (approximately):
- Energy – 23 kcal
- Carbohydrate – 2.5 gm.
- Protein – 0.3 gm.
- Fat – 1.3 gm.
- Vitamin C – 62.5 mg.
Other nutrients obtained from this thick, delicious soup are dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin K, calcium, sodium, potassium, iron, manganese, copper, folic acid, and so on.
What Is Its Goodness?
Needless to say, a bowl of piping hot lemon-coriander soup is a delectable appetizer with endless goodness. But as we are talking about increasing our vitamin C intake, let’s focus on it only. Here is how giving yourself a vitamin C boost through this recipe can actually help you in terms of health, skin and hair:
- Being one of the best antioxidants, vitamin C can prevent your cell DNAs from damages and save you from fatal diseases like cancer.
- It improves our immunity power to a great extent. So, you can expect to stay away from all sorts of bacterial, viral and fungal infections including flu, cold, cough, allergy, inflammation, and so on.
- It can keep blood pressure under control, thereby reducing the risks of developing all related complications like hypertension, stroke, heart attack, etc.
- It promotes vasodilation, which eventually helps in keeping issues like hypercholesterol, atherosclerosis, etc. at bay.
- As it limits the amount of sugar in our bloodstream, avoiding diseases like diabetes mellitus becomes easier.
- High intake of vitamin C can help you a lot in losing unwanted fat and maintaining a healthy body weight.
- It perks up the health of our bones and teeth. You can avoid gum disease called ‘scurvy’ by increasing your regular vitamin C intake.
- Great antioxidant properties of vitamin C protect our skin from free radical damages, harmful UV rays of the sun and acute environmental pollution.
- It stimulates the production of collagen and elastin in our body, which makes skin smooth, rejuvenated and youthful by removing dullness.
- You can get thick, strong and healthy hair by including more vitamin C in your diet.
I’m sure that there is no more need to say about the vitamin C benefits of lemon-coriander soup. Am I right ladies? So why don’t you give it a try? And don’t forget to share your experience with me.
Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to share such yummy recipes
Copyrights© Beauty and the Best