Best Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dandruff !
Hello Friends !
Dandruff is a common problem for almost everyone and over the course of time, we keep on trying every possible home remedies, over the counter- shampoos and various other treatments. It is socially embarrassing and also leads to various other problems like allergies, acne, itchy scalp, etc. when the scalp gets excessively greasy or dry due to the dandruff issues, it also leads to hairfall, breakage and thanks to the chemicals, the internal damage of the hair’s texture.
So, to treat the dandruff issues, it is necessary to keep certain things in mind on the causes of it and the home remedies for dandruff that are absolutely harmless and effective as an alternative of chemical laden shampoos and tonics.
CAUSES OF DANDRUFF
Scalp fungus that cultivates in oil rich areas of the body and has been recognized as a principal cause of dandruff. Malassezia (i.e. the fungus) can’t be removed totally, but reinstating your scalp’s natural defensive blockade is the first step to fighting its effects.
Seborrheic Dermatitis which is a very common condition that causes oily skin and phenomenal breakouts on the skin. . It causes red, greasy skin that’s covered with flaky white or yellow scales.
Foods play an important role for the cause of dandruff. Various foods with nutritional deficiencies, oily and junk foods and caffeine rich beverages and drinks that doesn’t suit the health very well, are also one of the many causes of dandruff. Improper shampooing by not washing if off completely can cause dandruff in some people. Also, use of the conditioner along with the various use of hair styling products on the scalp is another cause of dandruff.
Apart from these there are various reasons like illness, mental stress, improper brushing of hair, etc. by which dandruff is caused as well.
- Coconut Oil and Fenugreek Seeds – Fenugreek seeds contain protein and nicotinic which helps in eliminating dandruff from the scalp. It comprises large amounts of lecithin which hydrates the hair and provides strength to the roots making the hair shiny. Coconut oil is the miracle elixir for hair and is known to solve every possible hair problems like dandruff as well. For best results, make coconut oil at home and apply on the scalp. For the purpose of dandruff, in a bowl of raw coconut oil (avoid the scented ones), add 1 tbsp. of fenugreek seeds and warm the oil in a double boiler or you can also keep it overnight. Apply the oil on the scalp generously and wrap a warm towel for deep conditioning. Wash off with a shampoo (not a dandruff preventing one) but the shampoo which suits the texture of your hair. Towel dry and see the results.
- Neem Oil and Olive Oil – Neem oil contains more than 35 biologically active ingredients and has many medicinal properties. Olive oil is an age old remedy for hair issues and is known to soak into the scalp, curing the dandruff. Make a concoction of these two oils and apply it generously on the scalp. Keep it overnight and wash off in the morning. With regular usage, the dandruff problems will go away.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – ACV is an active agent in fighting fungus. It also helps in treating dry skin and decreasing dandruff not caused by fungus. The acid content in vinegar diminishes the itchiness of the scalp and radically brings down flaking. Mix one part of apple cider vinegar with equal part of water and keep aside. Wash your hair usually and then apply the mixture to wet hair. Massage your scalp methodically with this mixture. Leave it on for 15 minutes and rinse off with water. Repeat it daily for about a week.
- Aspirin – Aspirin contains salicylates that exfoliate the scalp and helps in treating dandruff. It also removes the fungal and bacterial infection from the scalp. Crush 2-3aspirins and mix them thoroughly with the shampoo. Massage it onto the scalp for a good 7-10mins and keep it for some time. Wash off with cold water.
- Lemon Juice – the lemon juice is another age old secret for removing dandruff from the scalp. The high citric acid content in lemon helps in removing dandruff with regular usage. Thus, the acidity of lemon juice helps in balancing the pH levels of the scalp. You can either apply the lemon juice directly on the scalp or mix it with coconut oil. It might cause slight irritation but it is surely worth it.
- Yoghurt – once again, the acidic superiority of the yoghurt not only helps to fight dandruff, but also conditions it to give it a shiny and soft texture to the hair. This is perhaps the easier method of application. Section your hair into 8-10parts and with the help of a brush apply the curd. Wrap your hair in shower cap and let it be for around 30-40mins. Wash off you’re the regular shampoo and conditioner.
- Tea Tree Oil – the anti-inflammatory properties and a higher rate of dermal penetration, antifungal properties and anti-septic formula makes tea tree oil an excellent choice for treating dandruff. It reduces dandruff to a large extent and also improves the hair’s texture. You can add tea tree oil with coconut or olive oil for deep conditioning. Or else, apply the oil directly on the scalp and massage it thoroughly. Keep it for 2hrs approx. and wash off with regular shampoo.
P.S. Do not try all these methods together. See, which ingredient suit your skin better and accordingly stick to one method. It might take some time but will surely give good results.
- Make sure you wash off the shampoo very well from the hair to prevent any residue.
- If you are going for the deep conditioning treatment with heavy oils, use shampoo twice to rinse the hair.
- While applying conditioner, concentrate on the roots and do not apply on the scalp.
- Do not keep your hair tied up all the time. It may cause sweat and lead to fungal infection.
- Brush your hair thoroughly and also massage the scalp for blood circulation.
- Reduce the amount of sugar intake which contributes to the promotion of fungus.
- Intake of the B vitamins, particularly of vitamins B6 (pyridoxine) and B12 (riboflavin), can help reduce dandruff.
- Allicin is a powerful health promoting complex that is found in garlic could be helpful for people with dandruff due to its anti-fungal properties.
- Regular intake of fresh fruits or juice.
There are plethora of brands in the Indian market having ‘anti-dandruff’ shampoos but trust me none of them would do any good to your hair. They have high content of chemicals that forcefully and rather harshly remove the flakes and there is no way it will be a permanent solution. Some brands even claim to use the shampoo every day but your hair’s texture with be like a dry hay by the week’s end. Therefore, always avoid anti-dandruff shampoo (which only keeps the hair clean for 2 days) and incorporate the home remedies for better results.
Do you have dandruff problem ?
Any tips or any products which you want to recommend ?