Hello Everyone, I had never ever planned on getting my nails done professionally, but when I landed here in states I was so curious about this whole nail salon thing that I had to somehow go and experience it.
Back in India we don’t have so many salons dedicated to nails. Maybe people there like to get manicures just on special occasions and definitely not on regular basis. I had some knowledge about gel and acrylic nail manicures because of some of my blogger friends who live here. So when I went to the salon like an amateur I asked the technician for fake nails and I must say I was lucky enough to get introduced to something new called Dip Powder Manicure.
What exactly is Dip powder manicure? (in the all the pictures I’ve dip powder mani)
A simple process which involves dipping your nails into your favorite colored powder, and sealing the color with a protective clear polish. It’s quite an easy process, and the nails dry quickly!
When I got my nails done I was totally impressed with the results. It lasted over a month and I didn’t shell out big bucks for the dip powder procedure. I paid around $40, but I’m sure there are many salons which offer this procedure for the much cheaper price.
Let’s discuss advantages and disadvantages of Dip Powder Nails, Gel and Acrylic Nails:
Pros of Dip Powder Nails
- Simple and affordable process.
- color is applied in powder form, no need to worry about color sticking on your skin like typical nail polish.
- Nails look natural
- They actually last longer than gel and acrylic nails.
- No damage to your nail bed because nothing is glue on your natural nails.
- The procedure takes less time.
- No damage caused to nails.
Cons of Dip Powder Nails
- It’s very hard to find good nail technicians to do this type of manicure.
- Since this is a new procedure you will have less variety of colors.
- Not easy to remove.
About Gel Nails: In this process a base coat is applied, followed by a polish color and top coat. Each coat is hardened in an UV light.
Pros of Gel Nails:
- fake nails placed over your natural ones which give natural, glossy, beautiful look
- This can last up to 15-20 days if done from a good nail technicians
- These are more flexible than acrylic nails.
- Easy to remove
Cons of Gel Nails:
- CAn damage nail bed
- People can be allergic to some of the ingredients used in gels.
- You can’t fix it at home if this gets damaged or broken.
About Acrylic Nails: This is a unique combination of liquid monomer and a powder polymer. A layer is formed over your natural nails which hardens to form glossy effect. Nail polish is applied at the end.
Pros of Acrylic Nails:
- Easy to remove
- You can fix it quickly if broken
- Last really long.
- Nail polish looks pretty on acrylic nails.
Cons of Acrylic Nails:
- May cause severe damage to Nail bed.
- They look less natural
- The ingredients used have lots of chemicals.
Bottom Line: In the future, I’ll be only trying Dip Powder Manicure, it’s truly a great choice for Gel and Acrylic Nails. For those who want to step outside the box and try something new, this Summer go for Dip Powder Nails!