Oily skin can be a matter of great discomfort especially in summer. A usual face with oily skin can generate more oil in summer as the heat constantly brings out the oil from the pores of the skin. Even though oily skin is a blessing as it ages slowly compared to dry skin and allows less wrinkles to develop on the face. But all the advantages turn disadvantages at specific time of the day. Similarly oily skin can be a menace during summer. It can give your face an excessive shine, spoil your makeup and may result in the sudden pimple and acne outbreak.
What causes oily skin?
Oily skin can be caused by several reasons which are listed below:
- Genetics: If your family has oily skin, the chances are higher that you too will have a similar skin with larger sebaceous glands that produce oil in excess.
- Excessive use of skin care products: There are so many cosmetics and skin products available in the market and people generally use them quite regularly for purposes like fairness, smoothness and clear skin. However, the excessive use of such skin care products result in greater oil production in the skin
- Seasonal changes: The oil production in the skin depends on the seasons too. If you are based at a hot and humid location, the oil production in the skin will be in excess. Also, the cold and dry weather can also result in oil production as a natural mechanism to prevent the skin from dehydration.
- Medications: Usage of hormonal birth control pills or hormone replacement medications can have oily skin as a side effect
- Stress: Being under stress doesn’t only affect the mental state but also affect the physical state too. When countered with chronic stress, the skin can start producing androgen hormones which produce oil in the skin
Oily skin isn’t easy to manage but like everything else the solution to a problem is usually too close to us and sometimes in our kitchen. Following are some of the home remedies for oily skin:
- Egg white: Egg white is high on vitamin A and can help toning the oily skin.
(Whip an egg white and apply it on the skin and let it dry. Once dry, wash it off with warm water. This is to be done twice a week)
- Lemon Juice: Lemon is citric in nature which makes it antiseptic. It lightens the skin discoloration and restore skin’s pH balance.
(Mix one teaspoon of lemon juice with a tea spoon of distilled water. Soak a cotton ball into the mixture and apply it on the skin and leave it for 10 mins. Wash your skin with warm water. Lemon juice can make the skin dry so a little oil free moisturizer will be of a great help. This needs to be done once a day.)
- Cucumbers: Cucumber is a cooling agent high on vitamin and mineral content good for oily skin.
(Take a fresh cucumber, cut it into thick slices and rub it well on your skin. Let it stay for a night and wash the skin with warm water next morning. This is to be done daily before sleeping)
- Yogurt: Yogurt contains lactic acid which can absorb the excessive oil from the skin.
Take a tablespoon of plain yogurt and apply it thoroughly on your face. Let it stay for 15 mins and then rinse it with cool water. Repeat once every day
Apart from the home remedies mentioned above, there are several products which can be used to treat oily skin. These products are:
- Facial Cleanser: Using a gentle face cleanser is a great way to reduce oil from the skin. It is recommended to use a pH balanced cleanser instead of a soap. While washing the skin, it is best to use warm water.
- Alcohol free toner: Put a few drops of toner on a cotton pad and rub it gently on your face. Toners can be tough on skin, so it is recommended to be used only on oily skin.
- Moisturizer: A light and oil free moisturizer can be used to keep the skin hydrated and keeps the skin healthy
- Blotting paper: This is a very effective way to absorb the extra oil from the skin. Just a gentle press on the skin and the blotting paper will absorb the excessive oil. Ensure that it is not rubbed or it will cause irritation on the skin.
Oily skin can be an issue sometimes and like mentioned above there are many products and remedies which can applied to help you with the problem. Keeping your problems in mind, Kaya recommends you to opt for The Kaya Purepore Clear Skin which is designed to Target & Care the causes behind the oily skin and gives you facial relief. It deals with the problem at the root of it and targets the bacteria which are present inside the skin pores. It helps in purifying the facial skin with toxins to soothe the skin.
Kaya provides solution to a wide range of treatments for skin care and hair care problems. To know more visit us today!!